Re: Very Nasty Gnome bug

>Type 'panel&' in a terminal window to start the panel, and after that, it
>should appear the next time you start gnome.

It didn't until I said to save current session.

>You can always press ctl-alt-bs to kill X. Maybe not the solution you are
>asking for though...

I did a similar thing, ctl-alt-F2 and returned to my login windows and did
a ctl-C to kill the startx process.  You are right, not the result I was
after.

>Another way is to type 'save-session --kill' in a terminal window. That
>would be the same as using the panel to logout.

Being a newbie to gnome, how am I supposed to know that?  Other newbies
aren't going to know that either.  That is why I strongly suggest that the
default mouse menu configs have a way to start another panel and/or have
a logout option.

But, as I found out later, logging out and back into gnome may not restart
the panel.  You need one up before you can save the session and get it
started again :-)  A catch-22, hence the need for a panel (re)start menu
option.  I certanly didn't know that the panel can be that easy to start.
Just because it is simple to do doesn't mean that someone is going to know
how to do it.

I'm seriously thinking about getting OpenWindows working under RH6.0.  GNOME,
as it currently stands, is driving me up the wall.  Two main reasons:

1) The save-session does not work.  Sure, it will remember all of the
   applications that you started and it will restart them the next time
   gnome it started, but it piles then all into virtual area 0.  I have
   nine virual areas of stuff and they all end up in virtual area 0.  This
   is not good.  I have not found a way to make it work and it seems that no
   one on this list knows how to get it to work either.  It is very important
   to me that this feature work.  Without it, gnome is useless.  Having to
   start each application in its virtual area is extremely time consuming.

   Yes, I do like some of the features of gnome, the panel and its applets.
   But that doesn't make up for starting applications where I want them.

2) The damn X cursor.  If I clear out all the .gnome directories and the
   .enlightenment directory, I can get gnome to change from the X cursor to
   a real pointer cursor.  Of course, that mean reconfiguring gnome and
   enlightenment.  A real pain-in-the-ass.  After I got the pointer cursor
   back, it was promptly broken when I changed enlightenment to use iCE
   borders and saved the currect session.  Great, that was a real waste of
   time.  I just changed the theme (why is it called themes,when it really
   is borders?) to Clean Big, the cursor was changed to a pointer.  I changed
   back to icE and it is still a pointer.  It also changed to background
   color and I didn't tell it to do that.  The question is what will happen
   when I get out of gnome and back in.  Will the cursor still be wrong?

   I say that this damn cursor problem is a bug.

More on this when I try a few things.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@cm.nu
        [Where do you think Microsoft would be today if they waited]