How to change names of some desktop symlinks?

I have two symlinks on my desktop, one named "Floppy 0" and the other
named "Disk 0". I tried changing their names by right-clicking on them,
choosing Properties from the popup menu, and changing the "File Name"
field to some other name. Didn't work. I tried right-clicking on the
desktop and clicking on "Rescan Desktop". No change. I tried logging
out of GNOME and logging in again. Still no change. Tried
right-clicking the desktop and choosing "Recreate Desktop Shortcuts".
That reversed the change and added symlinks to Slashdot and GNOME
News--not what I wanted. Am I missing something here, or is this a bug
or misfeature?

===

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----