Carmack enjoys GNOME

    Browsing John Carmack's (id software) .plan updates, i saw this little
tidbit...a little positive encouragment for GNOME:

The gnome user environment in Red Hat 6.0 is finally at a level that I
 consider it a valid alternative to commercial desktop environments.
Overall,
 its still not as smooth, consistant, or complete as windows or the mac, but
 is does have its strong points, and things seem to be progressing quite
 rapidly.

 Its still not something you would give to a purely casual computer user,
 but I won't be surprised if even that changes in a couple years.