Re: File manager tree.

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Matthias Warkus wrote:

> +++ Sat, May 29, 1999 at 04:21:21PM -0400 +++
> Ben Frantzdale e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> [ + vs. - vs. ? / default vs. option ]
> > Yes. Options are good, but not always the best idea... I'd say, if there's
> > a question like this, first ask the list, then, if there is no concensus,
> > make the thing in question an option.
>
> I say there can never be enough options. Choices are what the spirit
> of Unix is about, after all.

Choices != Options.

If you don't like what options are available, then the Choice is yours to
go and use a different program, the sources are available for you to DIY.

All too often options are implemented because neither way works
particularly well.  The solution is not an option, but to make one way
that actually works.

You can have too many options... You end up with code like:

if ((option1 || (option2 && !(option3 || option4))
   && !(option5 && dayofweek == "Thursday"))
{...}

yours,

Paul