RE: Feature suggestions for GNOME-compliant WMs

Well, the logout menuitem wouuld not be in an applications menu. It would be
in the root menu. If a window manager wants to implament logout, all it has
to do is read in the logout.desktop.

Besides. I was under the impression the ".desktop" concept was created so
that universal launchers can be created for all programs. That is why it is
".desktop" and not kde style ".gnome" files. Desktop data should be shared
between all programs/wm's.
.desktop!=gnome

As an example, enlightenment could easily replace its own menu code with
code that just reads in the desktop files. It would make enlightenment more
flexable. The same goes for wm's like FVWM. Instead of using one big menu
file, it could be redone to read in desktops.

One of the biggest problems I see is that when a program like "Civ: CTP"
comes out, there is no way for it to distribute desktop icons for every
environment. It would be verry nice for programmers to only have to write a
<programname>.desktop and place it in a nutral place like /usr/share/apps.
Then enlightenment, gnome, kde, fvwm, and all the other programs can get at
the info...