gnome crashing

hey guys,

i've been lurking around for a while, reading and enjoying.  i'm not a
developer - just a user.  i've posted a problem to the list and managed to
get a fix for the problem.  the problem i'm referring to is the good old
gnome starup taking forever, therebye producing a core file and then
rendering the shutdown menu option worthless.

the fix was to remove all the .gnome files and directories in my home
directory and let it rebuild.  this worked fine and gnome reacted okay for
a day or so but the problem is back and happening a bit more frequently.
the problem seems to always be related (file core) to one applet or
another.

has anyone come up with a more permenant fix for this problem?  or is
there a file that i'm missing?  i'm removing (rm -rf) .gnome* and
.ICEauthority and .Xauthority.  is there something else?

can someone explain why this is occurring?

thank you very much.

\||/     J A C K  W A L L E N, J R.
 00      writer, coder and all 'round chump
  >      get 'jack'd' at www.techrepublic.com
 _       L   I   N   U   X - not just for geeks anymore!