Re: RH 6.0: Gnome and KDE Peaceful Coexistence or WishfullThinking?

> As for the RPM package tool... that's a good point. I should look more into
> the problems with this tool, but I still think there is questions of
> compatibility between Gnome and KDE that programmers might need to look
> into. The quick and aprioristic rejections that these kinds of problems
> might exist is very suspicious in and of itself. No offense.

Ugh.  Of course there will be some incompatibilites.  But you must remember
that IT IS ALL OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE.  If there was ANY deliberate
sabotaging in either project, it would be quickly detected and the culprit
found.  Any incompatibities you find that are not a consequence of the RPM
packages themselves should be sent to both the GNOME and KDE mailing lists
for discussion.

But the problems you are currently encountering are due to the .spec files
for the RPMs, not GNOME or KDE.  And also because all of this is open source
software, you can make your own packages!  Or...even help maintain package
compatiblity between the GNOME RPM maintainers and the KDE RPM maintainers.

We need less politics and more coding.

--
Colin Walters
walters.159@osu.edu