Gnome panel/pager idea

I have been fiddling with the pager, and its tasklist and what I would
like to be able to do is set it so that the tasklist can expand to fill
all the available space in the panel.  Clearly this is only applicable to
edge panels.

At the moment you can set a maximum size for the tasklist, and either you
get the width too small and the tasklist stops at some arbitrary point
along the panel, or you get it too large and it shoves things off the
edge of the screen.  It would be nice if it could detect its maximum size
automatically

I don't know if the panel currently provides a way for an applet to do
this, but it would be neat.

cheers,

Paul