Re: The State Of The Art

Adam Moyes <adam@macfar.demon.co.uk> skribis:
>But the problem is finding these links. A hirearchical approach is not
>always
>appropriate (what should be a parent of what is not always immediately
>obvious),
>and there is only limited space on the desktop (and its flat).
Take a look at Natrificial's Brain (http://www.natrificial.com/) for an
alternative system that lets you work with files and weblinks depending on
how they're related, not where they are in the filesystem.  Unfortunately
it's only for Windows, but there's at least one OSS clone in development
(one's called Synapse and there's another one for KDE called something like
Kognition that was proposed a while back; some worries about patents on that
one I think).

>I havn't quite figured it out, but how about something less linear, a more
>abstract representation of information _integrated_ into the desktop?
A Brain-type app running on the root window - that would be very nice
indeed.

dr geek