Re: Solaris zvt problem found and squashed

On 24 May, Paul Barnfather wrote:
+-----
| allbery@ece.cmu.edu wrote:
| > (On my system, it gets the -R automatically via libtool.  ???)
|
| Hmm. Not here. Looking at the Makefile, I see:
|
| gnome-pty-helper: $(gnome_pty_helper_OBJECTS)
| $(gnome_pty_helper_DEPENDENCIES)
|         @rm -f gnome-pty-helper
|         $(LINK) $(gnome_pty_helper_LDFLAGS) $(gnome_pty_helper_OBJECTS)
| $(gnome
| pty_helper_LDADD) $(LIBS)
|
| So, no -R (if I am looking in the right place, that is).
+--->8

Whoops.  Seems -Yl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib is a local gcc hack (and not one I
necessarily approve of...).

| chown: unknown user id root.root
| make[1]: [install-exec-local] Error 2 (ignored)
|
| Is the error significant? Please excuse my total ignorance...
| The `chown` syntax looks wrong to me. Do I need a GNU chown?
+--->8

This is GNOME; you have to be running "GNU/Solaris", not merely Solaris.
(I'm still astonished that they bother making it "portable" when it requires
me to effectively replace every single program on the system with GNU
versions (yes, *some* are broken.  The above is not "something is broken",
it's GRATUITOUS), but for some reason "works if you replace the system with
ours" is considered a valid definition of "portable".

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu