statusbar won't update when docked.

sorry, i already posted a similar message before, but can't get any
further without help from outside.

i tried to 'gnomify' the statusbar example from the gtk-tutorial in
order to get a statusbar which updates its contents when it is in a dock
item AND the dock item is outside the main window; my statusbar updates
just fine as long as it is in the dock and the dock in the main window,
but not if the dock is outside the window. please see the code (only
about 80 lines) on www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~crashcut/statusbar.c.
(compile e.g. with gcc -o statusbar statusbar.c `gnome-config --cflags
gtk gnome gnomeui --libs gtk gnome gnomeui`)

of course i looked into the gnome-dev-docs, but it seems that dedicated
gnome-statusbars are not meant to be docked; there must be some way to
dock an existing statusbar somehow...

thanks to everyone who has more experience than me and can spare a
minute:)

fritz