Re: Flaws in recent Gnome updates

Marc Wilson said once upon a time (Mon, 24 May 1999):

> I would like to know if I'm the only one having problems with the recent
> series of Gnome updates posted to ftp.inconnect.com.
>
> In particular, I have had to remove the updated GTK+, the updated glib, *and*
> the updated gtop and return to the versions distributed with RH6.
>
> I started with gtop... launching that produced ENDLESS errors from a module
> named glibtop... gtop would eventually load (took 30 sec or more), but every
> update of *it's* window produced a stream of these errors in the term that
> launched it.  Backing off to the distributed versions of gtop and glib removed
> those errors, but left me with several GTK+ assertion errors.
>
> Backing off GTK+ to the version distributed with RH6 removed the assertion
> errors, and not coincidentally also removed the problem I've been having with
> gnome-linuxconf locking up and needing to be killed after making changes in
> the system configuration.
>
> On the other tentacle, related to the gnome-terminal bug I posted about a few
> minutes ago, I tried backing off gnome-core and gnome-libs to the distributed
> RH6 versions... the gnome-terminal bugs (text overwrite and background
> transparency) are there no matter what versions of those I use.

They've been downloaded just over 11,000 times.  I've heard of two
problems.  One person having a problem and traced it too having two window
mangers trying to run at the same time (a problem he created), and the
other person thought the updates screwed up Netscape until he found it was
Netscape's mail and news reader trying to resolve non-existent host names.

Keep in mind that those RPMS are not "official" RedHat RPMs.  When I built
them, I built them the way I thought RedHat would build them (by forward
porting any RedHat changes and/or patches).  I personally run those
updates on 7 machines.  I can run gnome without having core files
sprinkled around my filesystem now.

Dax Kelson