Session management

Sorry to drag this up again.

I've been told that Gnome applications should not save their window
position, but should set the WM_NAME, WM_CLASS and WM_ROLE hints for each
window so that the window manager can identify them, and let the window
manager remember their geometry for them. Today I noticed this in the Gnome
developer's information (www.gnome.org/devel/docs/gnome-dev-info/tut-sm.html):

>Implementing the save_yourself signal is a little bit more difficult, because
>we have to save the hole state of our application. Our tutorial application
>has only one state: the window's position on the screen. So we start our
>save_yourself signal function like this:

[example of saving window geometry]

Should I ask the maintainer of the tutorial to change this, or is this the
right way for applications to behave after all?

Michael Rogers