transparent bg's aren't

Hi, I've upgraded to GTK+ and Glib v1.2.3, Imlib-1.9.4, gnome-libs-1.0.9, gnome-core-1.0.5, control-center-1.0.5, libtool-1.3, automake-1.4, and m4-1.4.  Prior to making this upgrade I had everything working like fairly well.  After I made the upgrade all of the icons of png format have lost their transparency (i.e. they are now showing black backgrounds).  I compiled zlib-1.1.2 using --shared like someone had previously suggested, but that didn't clear the problem up at all.  Furthermore, all of the png's with transparent bg's that Enlightenment uses appear as they should, the problem seems to be in the way that GNOME uses imlib but I can't say for sure.  I say that the problem seems to lay in GNOME because like I said before, Enlightenment has no trouble displaying png images with transparent backgrounds.

The error that I keep seeing is:

libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library

Is there anyway that I can resolve this issue?

thankyou in advance
--
"I have become rather like King Midas, except that everything turns not into gold but into a circus." --Albert Einstein

-Rob