GDM crashes (was Re: GDM photos)

On 10 May 1999, Martin Kasper Petersen wrote:

mkp>
mkp> > Anyone know how do I include photos for the GDM browser? I tried
mkp> > putting in .jpg and .png pictures in the .gnome/photo directory but
mkp> > nothing appears.  Thanks.
mkp>
mkp> ~/.gnome/photo is supposed to be *a file* containing an Imlib
mkp> supported bitmap.
mkp>

There is a definitely a problem with the GDM browser and pictures.
I finally got the images to work by having a gif image with my login
name in /usr/share/faces and a copy of it as ~/.gnome/photo (a file,
not a dir). Also I had to make sure my homedir was readable (which
it isn't on a stock RedHat system).

Most deviations from this procedure (making my homedir unreadable,
having a ~/.gnome/photo without a /usr/share/faces/username, etc..)
made gdmbrowser segfault :( I don't think it should EVER be possible
to crash gdm by a user.

I don't know if this is useful, but I'm including it in case it is.
Is there anything I can do? I don't know if this has been fixed in
CVS.

Greetings,

Michiel

[gdm@ren gdm]$ gdmgreeter
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

[gdm@ren gdm]$ gdb /usr/bin/gdmgreeter -c core
Core was generated by `gdmgreeter'.
#0  chunk_alloc (ar_ptr=0x4042b420, nb=48) at malloc.c:2721
malloc.c:2721: No such file or directory.

(gdb) backtrace
#0  chunk_alloc (ar_ptr=0x4042b420, nb=48) at malloc.c:2721
#1  0x403d60c5 in __libc_malloc (bytes=44) at malloc.c:2561
#2  0x40078386 in g_malloc ()
#3  0x4007381a in g_hash_table_new ()
#4  0x4007d14f in g_scanner_new ()
#5  0x4024aa54 in gtk_rc_parse_any ()
#6  0x4024a147 in gtk_rc_parse_file ()
#7  0x4024a1b8 in gtk_rc_parse ()
#8  0x804f537 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffd7c) at gdmgreeter.c:1513

I'm running from RPM:

gdm-1.0.0-6
gnome-libs-1.0.8-1rh
gnome-core-1.0.4-11rh
imlib-1.9.4-1

on a RedHat 5.2 system.

Rule of thumb--every time Microsoft use the word "smart,"
        be on the lookout for something dumb.

     http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/