Re: GDM Hosts Browser.

dennis wrote:

> Hi all.
> I'm in the process of setting up a linux network at home and I'm going
> to use gnome on both systems.
> I will be using GDM on both also.
> I read  gdm. /usr/doc/gdm-1.0.0/gdm-manual.txt .....especially the
> section on XDMCP and UDP port 177 (as senn below)

You can do what you are looking for by running X -query <hostname> on
the remote machine. That will connect you to [kxg]dm on hostname.
Alternatively, you can use X -indirect <hostname> which will query
hostname for a list of machines on the local subnet that are willing to
handle xdmcp requests. Another neat trick I use occasionally is to run X
locally as usual and use Xnest to connect to the remote machines. Xnest
takes the same arguments as X. You do have to give Xnest a display to
use since your local X is probably using :0. eg. Xnest -indirect
hairball:1

Hope that helps.

--
Harold