projects for a beginner to work on?

I'm brand new to gnome/gtk programming. . .i.e. I've never done
it before.  I do have some C/C++ programming experience, though
I'd have to say I'm still a novice to intermediate programmer.  I
am very much interested in getting involved with the GNOME
project, but don't know where to start.  Any advice?  Should I
just start looking at source?  Is there a project or app that I
could work on that would be relatively gentle for a newcomer?  I
learn quickly.

For the sake of reference, I have a pretty modest system:  Intel
P166, 40Mb RAM, 750 Mb hard drive space, 100Mb of which is free.

Thanks!

Jamin Philip Gray
jgray@writeme.com
http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~jpg2/
http://www.linuxfreak.com/~jgray/

"It will be my turn to get angry soon.  If you say that again, I shall.
Then you will see Gandalf the Grey uncloaked."

--Gandalf the Grey