Re: GTK window manager...

On 02 May, 1999 - Havoc Pennington sent me these 1,6K bytes:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe the WM authors on the list can give you more details, but you aren't
> going to be able to write a window manager in Gtk. Lots of the Xlib stuff
> you need just isn't available, Gdk hides it all.
>
> I would suggest: start with FVWM2, remove all cruft that duplicates Gnome
> functionality, add a little module that uses Gtk for dialogs and stuff.

As Jason wrote, we have full Gnome functionality.. and we also have a
Gtk module where you can write menus, dialogs etc and still communicate
with the internals of FVWM.

[...]
> You might be less enthused about my second suggestion, but here it is
> anyway: work on Gnome integration for SCWM. It is already stripped down to
> a bare minimum of C code; everything is implemented in Scheme instead.

Don't try to convince me that Scheme is as fast as C...

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric@ing.umu.se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå