Gnome troubles on FreeBSD (was: FreeBSD trials and tribulations...)

Hey Josh (and everyone else),

That's great that you were able to get the latest gnome running on
FreeBSD! You may remember me...I had posted a message regarding this
very thing (my specific problem was with some of the compilations
failing due to an undefined reference to 'gettext').

Fortunately, after many hours (and your help),I was able to get
everything compiled and installed successfully...or so I thought! When I
went to start gnome, it came up with no icons, and complained that it
could not load its default icon set. I checked the output on the console
and found many messages saying:

"gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/panal-arrow-left.png
All fallbacks failed."

with each of the many messages referring to a different png image file
that it could not load.

I posted a message to the mailing list and got some tips and suggestions
(one of which suggested that gmodule was not working and that I needed
to remove (or comment out) the reference to gmodule in the imlib
config.h file and then re-compile imlib, but after making the mod, imlib
would NOT compile. Anyway, to make a long story short...I would love to
get gnome working on my FreeBSD box but I am stuck at this point.

BTW, I'm running FreeBSD 3.1 release.

Did you run across this problem, and or have any ideas of why it may be
occurring?

I would be very grateful if you could share your experience of getting
gnome compiled and running, and perhaps shed some light on this image

Any help would be great. TIA!
--
Devin.