I have succeeded in setting up GDM.  I am using the most recent version
from rpm.  Following are instructions:

1.  From /etc/gdm, copy gnomerc to the user's directory as .gnomerc.
Make sure you chown <user>:<user> .gnomerc and chmod 755 .gnomerc.

2.  Copy root's .xinitrc to the user's directory.  Make sure you chown
<user>:<user> .xinitrc and chmod 755 .xinitrc.

3.  In /etc/gdm/Sessions, type:

ln -s Gnome Default

4.  Test gdm from root:  Start gdm from a root prompt, and try a login.
I should work and start gnome.  retry as a user and verify.

Note: Step two is only a fail-safe to preempt X from grabbing .Xclients
or .xsession.  If you want to use .Xclients, delete the .xinitrc.

For more info, open the 'Gnome' and 'Xsession' files in the
/etc/gdm/Sessions directory.  These files show how and what gdm searches
for for each type of session.

Good luck.

BTW, did you see the /usr/doc/gdm??? directory?  It has a doc there
which describes the gdm.conf layout.