Desktop context menus and icons should be Gnome intrinsic, not tied to gmc.

Please let me know if this idea has already been discussed.

A concern I have is that in order to have desktop shortcuts, I have to be
running gmc (not that running gmc is bad).  I think this association is
unnecessary and, in fact, just bad UI.  All base UI functionality should be
independant of any application or applet.  I consider desktop UI to be base
functionality.  Desktop UI should include of the ability to access desktop
settings via context sensitive menus using clicks on the desktop (like M$
Windoze), drag and drop support and the ability to create and manipulate
desktop shortcuts.  It makes more sense for gmc to be strictly an application
that enables file manipulation.

Implementing the functionality in this way would lower the barrier to entry for
Gnome newbies who are migrating from Windoze.

What do you think?

    Miles