Re: samba and mc

I am working with a group which is doing something along these lines as
part of a class project.  We are implementing a gui to browse the machines
(using smb/samba) on the network by workgroup, and then mount shares
locally.  In this way it is more similar to the "mount network drive" than
it is to "network neighborhood" icon.

However combining our network browsing code with gmc's vfs concept, you
could probably emulate explorer's "network neighborhood" concept too.  I
have no idea if this is already underway, but assuming it is not I'll be
happy to work on it once our initial class project is done.

Unfortunetly because of its class project status, we can
not release anything until we are graded.  However our group members have
agreeded to release it under the GPL at that point.  (which should be in a
few weeks)

If anyone has any ideas or comments about this please let me know, though
I am restricted now because of a previously submitted design proposal,
once class is over we can take it any way we want.  Also the gmc
integration will obviously be guided by what the gmc team wants to do.

-chris

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Neb Bosworth wrote:

> I sincerely hope someone responds to this one..... it is a question I am
> really interested in hearing the answer to. Maybe even incorporate netatalk
> for us mac centric folks out here.
>
> Mike Palczewski <mpalczew@w-link.net> on 03/30/99 02:14:14 PM
> > Just a sugestion.   How about samba and gmc working together.  Maybe a
> > network icon on the desktop.  Would this be too dificult to implement.
> >
> > Mike

Christopher Rogers      Stevens Institute of Technology
gandalf@pobox.com       http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf

Top 20 Replies by Programmers when their programs don't work:
#18. It worked yesterday.