gmc & cursors

I have some suggestions based upon being a long time Windows user just
trying out GNOME for the first time.

Why did the implementors of the GNOME file manager choose the explorer
type model?  I much prefer the two paned approach that midnight
commander has.  I would at least like to be able to configure the
directory pane into another file pane.  Is this possible?

The other thing that would be nice is a  "SymLink to Desktop..." type
option from gmc right mouse menu.  It doesn't take long to pollute your
panel with application so it would be nice to be able to easily drop a
link to them on the desktop.  (If their already is an easy way please
let me know cause I have been creating symbolic links and then dragging
them to the desktop)

Auto-mount facilities within gmc would also be something that I would
find useful.  I realize that their is an applet for doing that but I
think it would be more logical to put that functionality into the gnome
file manager.

The other thing which is a small thing but I think would improve things
is to use an hourglass (or equivalent) cursor while programs are
whether the program is actually loading.  Some sort of visual feedback
would be of great benefit.

Overall I am quite impressed with GNOME and see alot of potential in
it.  I especially LOVE the virtual desktop feature.

Michael Dennis