Re: USB support

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Bolke de Bruin wrote:
> As I am reading trough the different magazines, I am encountering more
> and more "USB-Only" systems.
> Are there any programs/plans to support these under gnome or has there to
> be (probably) support for it in the kernel first?

Any sort of interfaces and ports are a kernel issue first.  After kernels
support it, then we can look at what application-level features might be
worth implementing in GNOME.

As far as I know, none of the commercial Unixes support USB.  There is a
pretty useful USB patch for Linux, but real support is waiting for 2.3.  I
don't know about USB support in the various BSD's.  It's pretty safe to
assume that MacOS X will have USB support, and it probably won't be all
that hard to port GNOME to it (Mach kernel, but I don't know if it's X
based).

-Gleef