Re: gnome-libs-1.0.5 and gtk+1.2.1

In message <199903272302.SAA08017@coco.comstar.net>, Gregory McLean
<gregm@comstar.net> writes
>[snip]

>rm config.cache; ./configure (see what that does)

That's the first thing I did after running ldconfig -v again just to
make sure it had picked up the new gtk.

[ snip ]

>Autoconf'd packages usually have a 'uninstall' (unless something odd needed
>doing with the makefiles.)

Ah:)

>glib/gtk+ have that target, make uninstall. Of course this expects that you
>leave the configured source around. If its a redhat system its fairly easy
>to use rpm to uninstall (rpm -e <pacakge>).

It is RedHat, but since I am trying to get to know Linux/Unix for a more
professional environment (perhaps with a career in mind) I am using
tarballs wherever possible.

I removed the gtk/glib rpms, installed the 1.2.0 glib/gtk+ tarballs,
then yesterday patched the sources with 1.2.1. Then ran ./configure on
gnome-libs-1.0.5 and an encountered the error.

So I guess make uninstall won't work as it will get rid of 1.2.1
versions. So how do backtrack? Should I make uninstall on the 1.2.1 gtk,
then glib, then untar the original 1.2.0, make and install them, then
uninstall these and then start again?

I kinda need to know this sort of thing fairly urgently.

[ FWIW, I've just come home from uni and introduced my mother and
younger sister to Gnome/E. My mother doesn't understand anything other
than "Windows 97" (95 with Office 97 in fact ;) while my sister's
reaction was yuck - she said it meant that she'd have to learn a new
system. That's the power of MS - making itself the only known standard ]

--
James Green