Re: Crashy crashy

> For the past couple of years, I've used RH Linux with fvwm2 as my WM
> without any crashes or hangs.  I really like the gnome/enlightenment look
> and feel and will likely stick with it regardless.  I'm just hoping that
> what I'm experiencing are just minor bugs that need to be worked out.  Is
> my experience typical?

I think your experience is pretty typical.  I'm with you on it.
I love the look of GNOME/Enlightenment.  It has the most
potential in my opinion.  But there are an annoying amount of
bugs yet to be worked out, and I think they are mainly GNOME
related.  Here are some examples of bugs I experience (and it's
difficult to submit a bug report because I can't seem to repeat
them...they just occur at seemingly random times):

* logging out either doesn't work or takes an inordinant amount
  of time

* my settings get lost when I log out and start X up again.

* Enlightment will start up, but the panel and gmc will not.

* nothing will work and I'll be left starting at the X server
  with no window manager running.

* lots of sound problems.  the sound will just *stop* working and
  I have to reboot to get it to work again.  Well, there might be
  a way to fix it without rebooting (there almost always is), but
  I don't know how.  I've tried killing various processes,
  exiting X, etc...nothing works.  Sometimes the sound works,
  sometimes it doesn't...but when it stops working, the only way
  I've found to get my sound car working again, is to reboot.  I
  never had these problems when I was running fvwm2.

Anyway, not trying to complain..jut mention some of the bugginess
I've seen.  If someone can give me some pointers on how to track
the cause of a bug, I'd love to help...I'm very much interested
in gnome development, just not sure where to begin.  I have C/C++
programming experience.

Jamin Philip Gray
jgray@writeme.com
http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~jpg2/

Windows NT source code now available... download WIN2000.BAS now!