From: Torsten Landschoff [mailto:t.landschoff@gmx.net]
Sent: 25 March 1999 14:07
To: Richard Cohen
Cc: gnome-list@gnome.org; Steve Homer
Subject: Make failing for po, with gnome-libs-1.0.3 too

Hi Folks,

First of all: This is my first Mail to this list. I tried the gnome-1.00
release on my machine and was very impressed by the possibilities of this
gui.
On the other hand it seems to be not very stable. I would be glad if I could
help in making Gnome as rock solid as the Linux kernel.

The only problem I have with Gnome is that this release was called 1.0 - I
think it is bad promotion to have a release which is not very stable. A
better
way would have been to call it gnome-0.5 and ask everbody interested in
gnome
to test it if he can cope with possible problems.

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 09:25:44PM +0000, Richard Cohen wrote:

> > > no: no such file or directory.
> > >
> > > I am running a highly modified Linux RedHat-5.0 dist.
>
> This happened to me as well.  I solved the problem by installing "gettext"
> (version 0.10.35 from Redhat contrib) and then had to go back and
reconfigure &
> compile some previous libraries (the ones with a po subdirectory).

Interesting. I am running Debian 2.1 and there is no "no"-binary in gettext.
solved the Problem by changing the Makefile from

GETMSG=no

GETMSG=getmsg

Question: Why is the "getmsg"-binary called "no" in RedHat? If it has a good
reason I should file a bug report against the gettext paket of Debian.

cu
    Torsten