Re: There is no "right" way to start gnome...

Is default.session in the right place on your system?  A few versions of
gnome-core put it in $(prefix)/share when gnome-session was expecting it
in $(prefix)/share/gnome

If you fall into this category, try copying default.session to
$(prefix)/share/gnome, or to ~/.gnome/session.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/