Having Some Problems

I tried gnome for the first time last week and Im having some problems.
Here goes:

p100, 32megs, 100 meg swap
Red Hat 5.1 with all the updates including kernel 2.0.36 ( basically 5.2)
gnome 1.0 release (current) inluding all of the required libs listed on on
the download page (binary RPM's).

Gnome starts up fine usiing gnome-session in .Xclients. Everything  goes
smoothly for about an hour or so and then in mid session most Gnome apps (
including the panel and  the configuration center ) seem not to work at
all. This often happens while I am Away from my machine.
 Running them on the command line returns no errors and the program
seems to execute fine. Eventualy if I wait long enough ( about three
minutes ) they will start up. When I shutdown X and restart it I get the
same results. It takes a good three minutes for the panel to start up.
 This leads me to belive ther is a lockfile
of some sort holding things up somewher. I have looked in all the usuall
places for one and even deleted the whole /tmp tree as well as the
$HOME/.*(gnome stuff). The only thing that seems to help is rebooting the
machine. This however is not a satisfactory solution.

On a possibly releated note Gnome ( I assume its either gnome-session or
panel but I know its not enlightenment ) core dumps every time i run it
and several times during a session.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA.