Re: A plea for some fore thought.... (was Re: calendar questions)

[...snippage of good small display considerations discussion...]

Out of curiosity tongight I tweaked the source for the panel and
recompiled it.  Specifically, I changed the minimum width from 48 pixels
to 12.

Much to my surprise, it works just fine.  Granted, the icons need some
serious reworking for a panel this size, and that's what I'm about to toy
with.  However, this 1/2-size panel could be quite handy for myself (I'm
currently playing around on a notebook with 800x600 max. res), as well
as others (cf. the Itsy conversation).

This weekend, if nobody beats me to the punch, I'm going to try my hand at
modifying the panel source to allow for the creation of 12, 24, 32, or 48-
pexel sized panels, both as the default panel, and for the addition of
new panels.

If this goes well, I'm seriously considering diving in and modifying
several of the applets to be useful at these smaller resolutions.
Obviously toys like fish and fifteen will have to go, but changing
the slashapp to a side-scrolling, one-line ticker is one thought I had.
Either a very small line-graph load (or other monitor) display, or possibly
a LED-type sideways-incrementing "level meter" type of display for these.

Either way, this definitely seems like a productive path down which I can
work.  Anyone willing to whip up a nice "small" theme to go with it?

BTW, where would I submit changes to the source?