A Common Error....

Ummm, ok,

I downloaded all, and had a problem with ESound, I upgraded my kernel to
2.2.3, and got gnome1.0....

Still no joy....

Before I had a problem initialising ESound due to having an AWE64 that
wasn't set up properly (unable to connect to ESound server).

Now when I start gnome, I get the grey start up screen, and the X cursor in
the middle, but then it backs out to the initial shell, with some message
about SESSION_MANAGER = gibson.demon.co.uk 1024.

Nothing else apart from that. I have now spent about 10 hours downloading
on a phone line that charges for internet connection (i'm in the UK), and
have been trying to install gnome for the past week with no luck.....

Anyone offer any suggestions? I have seen the grey screen and nothing else
problem before on a newsgroup, but for the life of me, I can't find the
post (or any replies).

I'm DYING to get into gnome, and start coding, and am choosing gnome
because it gets my vote for becoming the 'standard' desktop. If you want to
know what kind of things I will be doing, click on the link below to see
what I did under Delphi.

Thanks in advance for any help (and apologies if this isn't strictly the
bug/help mail list, but I couldn't find one to mail to)

Regards,

Andy Gibson.

PS KDE installed first time with NO problems :-P

3D Delphi Photorealistic Components :
www.gibsona.demon.co.uk