about installing docbook

So I have somewhat managed to compile and install at least part of
what's needed to process the gnome documentation. Something like this
might work:

- I downloaded sgmltools-2.0.2 from www.sgmltools.org

- I compiled and installed it. I left out jade since I couldn't get it
  to compile. Fortunately, I had already installed jade some days ago.
  That time too I had problems, but I managed to overcome those (mainly
  by using gcc-2.7.2 instead of egcs/pgcc).

- Since I had installed jade separately, I added two lines to
  /etc/sgml/catalog:

  CATALOG "/usr/local/jade/doc/catalog"
  CATALOG "/usr/local/jade/dsssl/catalog"

  (I had copied the doc and dsssl directories from the jade distribution
   to /usr/local/jade by hand.)

- I'm not sure if this helped, but I unpacked stylesheets.tgz from
  ftp.cygnus.com/pub/home/rosalia/docware/SOURCES/ in /usr/local/stylesheets,
  and added

  CATALOG "/usr/local/stylesheets/stylesheets.cat"

- I built and installed gtk-doc (I don't know if I needed any tricks for
  that).

- I copied db2html from gnome-docu/scripts to /usr/local/bin/db2html, and
  changed the first lines into:

  CATALOG=/etc/sgml/catalog
  DB_STYLESHEET=/usr/local/share/gtk-doc/gtk-doc.dsl
  HTML_STYLESHEET=/usr/local/share/sgml/stylesheets/docbook/test/docbook.css
  ADMON_GRAPHICS=/usr/local/share/sgml/stylesheets/docbook/images/*.gif

  (what did DB_STYLESHEET=home-of-linux.dsl do there???)

- In /usr/local/bin/gtkdoc-mkhtml, I added a -c option to the line
  invoking jade:

  jade -c /etc/sgml/catalog -t sgml -d $gtkdocdir/gtk-doc.dsl $2

More changes might be needed to several scripts and configuration files.
I've only tried gnome-games and gnome-libs at the moment, and I'm still
getting numerous errors from gnome-libs, but at least some of those
are caused by faulty sgml (I think).

Ronald