Re: There is no "right" way to start gnome...

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Hall Stevenson wrote:

> ...is there ?
>
> >From the numerous messages I've seen just in the past few days, I don't
> think I've seen an agreed upon way to do it. What does the developer(s)
> of gnome say? Are they here?

The right way to do it (unless someone changed it very recently, in which
case I'm doing it wrong) is to add a single line in .xinitrc (or
whatever):

exec gnome-session

If you aren't running E, don't worry about it.  When things come up run
the appropriate WM via a terminal or the "run program" option in the
system menu.  Assuming the WM is session aware, it will restart itself the
next time you run gnome-session.

Marcus Brubaker
spoon@elpaso.net
http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon

"I'm not going to ride on a magic carpet!" he hissed.
"I'm afraid of grounds."
"You mean heights," said Conina. "And stop being silly."
"I know what I mean! It's the grounds that kill you!"
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Sourcery)