Re: Proper Startup

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Glenn wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback Gleef,

No problem :-)

> A couple of more questions/input that I didn't think off before:
>

> Gleef wrote:The default.wm file should be installed as a part of
> gnome-core.  I have

??

[snip]
> >  The file locations I gave are wrong for older
> > versions of gnome-core (default.session and default.wm used to be in
> > $prefix/share, rather than $prefix/share/gnome).  Thirdly, make sure your
> > default.session file is intact.
> >

> I have one that appears OK. Should it have an entry to start the
> default IceWM. Can I just change that to Window Maker or wmaker?

I think the way to do it is leave the default.session as is, and
change "icewm" in the default.wm file to "wmaker".  If that doesn't
work, then try changing it in default.session.  Either way, it only
reads the default session if you don't have ~/.gnome/session.

If still you can't get it to work, grab a more recent snapshot of
gnome-core from ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/gnome/snap/gnome-core.  The
way gnome-session handles window managers has just changed, now it
will let you set a WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable to your window
manager command, and it should just work.

> > If none of the above helps, then follow my earlier directions to the
> > letter, take notes on exactly what happens wrong, write it up as a bug
> > report, and send it in.  http://bugs.gnome.org/Reporting.html has more
> > info on how to submit a bug report.
> >

> New question:
>
> When I plan to create a new session file. Should I
>
> 1) First change .xinitrc to :
> exec /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session
> 2) Start wmaker in an xterm
> 3) Now run gnome-session?

Nope.
 1) Make sure default.session and default.wm are in the right place
    (i.e. $prefix/share/gnome)
 2) rm ~/.gnome/session
 3) Have your .xinitrc (or .xsession, or .Xclients)
    "exec /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session"
 4) Startx (all the stuff in default.session should run automatically,
    including the window manager and panel).

If you can't (or don't want to) use default.session, remove it, and
make your .xinitrc:

xterm &
exec /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session

That will start you up with session management, and an xterm to run
things from.  Then, when you're done setting things up, and log out,
remove the xterm line before you start it up again.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef