Re: strange gnome-terminal behaviour

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Dean Elhard wrote:

> I am seeing some really strange behaviour from gnome-terminal.
>
> I have installed the latest RPMs, and now, gnome-terminal behaves
> differently depending on where it is launched from.
>
> If I start gnome-terminal from a launcher in the panel, the terminal
> fails to exit when the shell exits.  If I launch it from enlightenment
> or from another terminal session, it exits properly.  I ran strace on
> the offending session, as well as a correctly behaving session, and
> the difference seems to be that the gnome-terminal launched from the
> panel never receives a SIGCHLD signal when the subshell exits.

Are you using gdm? I'm having this behaviour too, but if I use normal
startx instead of logging in via gdm the terminal closes itself when i
exit the subshell.
I don't know why this is happening: I thought I had a config problem
somewhere (I have done rm -Rf .gnome* but it doesn't help) but now I see
you can have the same problem too.
If you are using gdm, could you check this?
If you are not using it, forget this letter.

If this may be of help, I have CVS gdm from er... about 20 Mar.

Hope this is a good idea,
Zun.