Re: sound-properties crash

On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 11:27:23PM +0000, Elliot Lee was heard to say:

> Well, first of all make sure you have the latest ORBit out of CVS, since it
> fixes some unrelated problems.

  I do.  Unless you mean 'earlier than this morning'. ;-)

> This sounds like you have a bad compiler or something. The window that pops
> up momentarily is the dialog that tells the user when they try to play a
> non-existent file, which you should be seeing the first time you try the play
> button.

  I know, it popped up correctly the first time.  It was the second time that
it died.  I think I figured out the problem (see below)

> It works for me here just fine, so now you need to figure out what is
> different in your environment from RHL 5.2 + egcs 1.1.2 :-)

  Debian potato (contains glibc 2.1), kernel 2.2.3, and egcs .. um .. there
are two version numbers.  ;-)  2.91.63 and 1.1.63.  I'd be inclined to say
that 2.91.63 is the version of the Debian package, except that gcc --version
reports egcs-2.91.63.  Anyway, this may be irrelevant.  (see below)

> -- Elliot
> Lbh'er fhccbfrq gb gel bar bs gubfr fvyyl EFN-va-guerr-yvarf .fvtangherf
> ba guvf, svefg

  The thing is, this went away.  I decided on a whim to switch back to the
ThinIce GTK theme from a Pixmap-based theme and poof!  This problem, as well
as several gmc crashes, went away.  I have a suspicion that either the
Pixmap theme is buggy, my compilation of it is (my GTK+ isn't from CVS, it's
the Debian GTK+ package in potato), or it interacts badly with certain Gnome
programs.  Has anyone managed to track this down?  It's a real nuisance not
to be able to use nice themes like MacOS or Marble3D... (on the other hand,
it keeps me from thrashing my hard drive to death and melting my CPU...my
computer is..well..not quite high-end... ;-) )

  Daniel

--
  Whoever created the human body left in a fairly basic design flaw.  It has a
tendency to bend at the knees.

             -- Terry Pratchett, _Men at Arms_