RE: gnome compliant window managers

Well, the wm selector capplet most of the way written...

How about having it check in the users home directory for a ~/.wm or some
file that contains
"enlightenment" or "windowmaker" or "whatever" and start it.

if the file does not exist have the wm selector window pop up. That way,
when someone first sets up gnome he/she will be prompted for what window
manager he/she wants to use.

Then gnome is not tied to any window manager :)