Re: Windowmanager in session.wm

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999 12:35:03 Jan Gentsch wrote:
> Read my previous post and once more:
> It is a bad as anything. A default windowmanager should not be decided
> at compile time!
> You donīt know which windowmanagers will be available on the system the
> packages will eventually be installed on(I am talking about package
> making).
> Jan

Why is this silly?  What other option is there?  If it isn't decided at compile
time, then the first time you run it, it won't know what WM to use.  So it will
display a blank screen and you will have to choose your WM at runtime.  If it does
have a default chosen at compile time, and the default doesn't exist on your machine,
you get a blank screen and then have to choose your WM at runtime again.  If it does
have a default chosen at compile time, and the default does exist, then all should
come up fine, and once again, you will have to choose your preferred WM at runtime.

There is no way around the issue of having this decided somewhere.  A default just makes
it easier on packagers, etc.  :-)

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/

"An honest answer can get you into a lot of trouble."
         - Anonymous