gtk themes and Eterm...

Man...no themes like me!

I have dl'ed some gtk themes as theme.tar.gz.  According to the
control center help, I am just supposed to click on "install new theme"
and point it to the tarball.  I do this and my system becomes
unsresponsive, either so bad that I have to re-start X or just so
that the file-selector window from the contraol center stays on the
screen, even whenthe control center itself has exited.  Is there a
way to forcefully install these?

And Eterm...I dl'ed the extra background files and extracted them in my
home dir.  It extracted to ~/Eterm. The docs said they should be in
~/.Eterm
so I renamed the dir.  Now in Eterm (0.89), I can't select most of the
backgrounds...when I choose one, it just turns the bg black.

Thanks,

Darren King