Re: modemlights-applet

Christian Hagemeier <chagemei@zpr.uni-koeln.de> wrote:

>After I have compiled everything from scratch it works fine now! I am really
>impressed by GNOME!!!
>
>But now my momdemlights-applet does not work anymore. Ii does not display the
>status etc. correct. Even if I am online no lights are on. Therefore there is
>no other way of disconnecting than turning of my modem (pretty ugly).

Running the disconnect command listed in properties (from a terminal) should
also work, the default is pppoff (I hope you are kidding on having to
physically turn off the modem to disconnect)

>I checked the location of the lockfile. But it is there when my modem is
>online.
>
>Where does modem-lights save its properties, so that I can erase them and try
>from scratch? Or does anyone has got an idea where I can look for the error?

The rest of this message is assuming you are _not_ using the ISDN option of
the applet.

For gnome-core 1.0.3, modemlights now attempts to test for a stale modem lock
file. To do this it assumes the lock file contains the pid of the program
holding the lock to the modem, then checks that the pid exists.

Could you do a cat of the lock file, /var/lock/LCK..modem is the default
the command:

   cat /var/lock/LCK..modem

should print out a number, this is the pid of the process holding the lock.
Does a process with that pid exist?

to find out:

   ps a | grep #

where # is the number printed from the first step (without leading 0's).

-John
--
John Ellis <johne@bellatlantic.net>
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/5235