Re: Problems compiling gnome-libs

Spud wrote:

>   As far as I know, it would be pretty hard to do a complete install on a
> system where you don't have root. In addition to specifiying an install
> prefix for every configure script for all libraries, you would have to add
> the dir where the libraries are in to /etc/ld.so.conf...correct me if I'm
> wrong, but don't you have to be root to do this?

Ok, I'll correct you :-). First of all ld.so.conf doesn't exist on a
Solaris system (in fact you don't need it on a Linux system either if
your LD_LIBRARY_PATH is setup properly). In Solaris you set your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH and everything works ok (I've installed egcs
this way and also glib and gtk+ and all works well). Second, I always
specifiy a install path because the default path is /usr/local and I
want to install somewhere else so I just can type rm -fr
/install/path/to/gnome and begin from scratch (very useful when you have
several libraries in different versions).

///Johan

--
! Ericsson Infotech AB	    ! ECN: 863 3554                         !
! Johan Groth KS/EIN/T/R    ! Phone: +46 54 19 3554                 !