panel wierdness

Ever since my upgrade to 1.x, my panel is different.  The icon that
brings up
the control center is gone and , mnore importantly, my virtual desktop
picker
(the 4 rectangles for your virtual desktops) is gone.  I still have my
virtual
desktops because I can move through them but I don't have the boxes on
my panel.

Also has anyone got gnome-objc to compile?  I got a pretty heavy duty
compiler error when I tried...could not find a spill register...cc1obj
got a
fatal signal 6...that's well beyond my realm.

Darren King