Re: Gnome binary distribution for solaris ?

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Brian Kurotsuchi wrote:
> I'm running Solaris 2.6 and did get Gnome working after a lot of work...
>
> As I often comment to my roommate, you're basically building a Linux box
> in /usr/local when you try to get Gnome going.  Here's a semi-complete list
> of what I installed to get Gnome going:
>
> egcs
> gnu make
> libz
> libjbig
> HDF image support
> gdb
> libtiff
> libungif
> libjpeg
> libpng
> Imagemagick
> automake
> autoconf
>    - GNU m4 need to build this
> libtool
> libdb (Berkeley)
> python
> GNU tar (control-panel tarball gives a checksum error with Solaris tar)
> GNU gettext
> gawk
> flex
>
> Let's just say, it is a LOT of work.  Half of the above I had installed before
> even trying to build Gnome.  I probably missed something from the above list
> too.  And of course there is a list just as long when you actually get to the
> Gnome installation instructions.
>
> I've thought about doing a Solaris package for Gnome, but it would take all
> year to package the above support software.

You wouldn't need to package all of it, a lot of what you listed is
packaged already.  We don't really need packages of the compiler stuff
(egcs, autoconf, etc).  What would be useful would be:
  * Packages of the general-use libraries that GNOME needs but Solaris
    doesn't ship with (eg. libpng, Imlib, glib, gtk+, etc.)
  * Packages of the main GNOME modules (eg. gnome-libs, gnome-core, mc,
    etc.)

I have no access to Solaris boxes, so I can only help with advice, but we
seem to have a LOT of Solaris users interested in GNOME.  Rather than each
person having to forge their own way from scratch, it would be useful if
some of the people who have made it put the extra effort to package it for
those who follow.  Perhaps if a few of you get together so nobody has to
do all the packages?

Thanks,
-Gleef