Re: Gnome binary distribution for solaris ?

I'm running Solaris 2.6 and did get Gnome working after a lot of work...

As I often comment to my roommate, you're basically building a Linux box
in /usr/local when you try to get Gnome going.  Here's a semi-complete list
of what I installed to get Gnome going:

egcs
gnu make
libz
libjbig
HDF image support
gdb
libtiff
libungif
libjpeg
libpng
Imagemagick
automake
autoconf
   - GNU m4 need to build this
libtool
libdb (Berkeley)
python
GNU tar (control-panel tarball gives a checksum error with Solaris tar)
GNU gettext
gawk
flex

Let's just say, it is a LOT of work.  Half of the above I had installed before
even trying to build Gnome.  I probably missed something from the above list
too.  And of course there is a list just as long when you actually get to the
Gnome installation instructions.

I've thought about doing a Solaris package for Gnome, but it would take all
year to package the above support software.

Anyway, good luck.  Don't run yourself out of disk space...

BK

Things are only impossible until they are not.
    Jean-Luc Picard, "When the Bough Breaks"

Quoting Mark R. Bowyer (Moredhel@earthling.net):