The windowmanager startup issue

For the SuSE rpms we have been using a setup, which if you start up
gnome
for the first time, scans the available windowmanagers and prompts the
user to choose one.
I would suggest to integrate something of that kind formerly into gnome,
using a small gnome programm (right now we are using tcl).

To choose a default manager at compile time doesn´t really make sense
anyhow, as really this is something which needs to be figured out at
install time.

Jan