new user problem

Alright, so I got gnome working just spiffy for root, and more or less
spiffy for my user...however, when I try to run gnome-ppp, I get:

[tim@apollo18 tim]$ gnome-ppp
gnome-ppp: error in loading shared libraries
libgtk-1.1.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
[tim@apollo18 tim]$ ls -l /usr/lib/libgtk-1.1*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root    1457226 Mar 16 08:44
/usr/lib/libgtk-1.1.so.14
[tim@apollo18 tim]$ more /etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/local/lib

Any ideas why gnome-ppp won't launch, or do I need to supply some more
info to figure out the problem?
Thanks.

Tim Lloyd, omaha@tmbg.org
http://pagina.de/Apollo18
"When I grow up...I want to work my way up to middle management...  I
want to be underappreciated...  I want to have a brown nose...  Yes, boss,
anything for a raise, boss..." -some ad
"...failure to terraform Mars constitutes failure to live up to our human
nature and a betrayal of our responsibility as members of the community of
life itself." -Robert Zubrin