Re: gnomecard saveAs in LDAP format

>> Better than this it would be to provide a real LDAP backend to
>> GnomeCard, so that people could use LDAP directly instead of using the
>> vCard backend.
>>
>> yes, I would love to see this.
>> Miguel.
>
>What would it take to do this?  I would guess the sql backend stuff but
>using LDAP instead?

LDAP shouldn't be too difficult.  We might want to make it a compile
time option and require libldap and liblber.  Then make it a run-time
option which LDAP server(s) to connect to.  We might also want to
eventually have it follow referrels.

Basically, the libraries do all the hard work.   I haven't looked at
them too much yet, but I've got an ldap server up and running with
sendmail and Apache (mail forwarding and www authentication).  The
Apache module uses the libraries to actually do everything.  Sendmail is
the same way.

This would allow GnomeCard to be used to administer (possibly?) and LDAP
database.  Have a dialog for DN/password information for the effective
LDAP user accessing the database (and offer anonymous binding also).
This would be more for the corporate directories, not personal ones.
GnomeCard could still suppliment the LDAP information with a personal
(user) database.

It would real nice to hook this up with Balsa -- people could store PGP
keys in the LDAP server and
Balsa could then send encrypted mail...  (another topic for another
time:)

--
Jim Smith            | Email: j-smith@physics.tamu.edu