Re: Gnome CVS docs..

On 14-Mar-99 James Henstridge wrote:
> It could do with a dependencies list.  In your docs (which look quite good
> by the way), if I wanted to install ee for instance, it would appear that
> I need everything above it (including things like gnome-dom, which are not
> needed).
>
> It would be better if I could work out the exact packages needed for gwp
> or something.  This could be best handled by a makefile like file in the
> gnome-info module.  It may look something like this:
>   glib:
>   ORBit: glib
>   gtk+: glib
>   imlib: gtk+ <image libraries>
>   gtk-engines: gtk+ imlib
>   gnome-libs: gtk+

Good idea, but as gnome is still in heavy development, dependencies change on
regular bases, with only sign of new dependencies showing in compile time
errors.:)

> Then have a note about how to use this file to deduce the build order of
> modules in your CVS documentation.
>
> It would be a bit pointless to add this now, but it would be nice in the
> future.
>
> Also, people using CVS should have gettext >= 0.10.35 installed on the
> system (your doc doesn't specify the lowest allowable version).

Won't it be better to have a file in each module/package that lists current
dependencies? This way it would be easier for developer to update it. And in
turn, Will will have easier time keeping up to date.

        Regards,
        David