panel is blank now...

I had 0.99.8 running just fine but I had to mess with it.  For the
upgrade to 1.0, I wanted to install from source as opposed to
rpms on my redhat system.  I compiled and installed all the
sources and removed the old rpms.  As a workaround I had to
install a few rpms for 1.0 because the sources wouldn't compile
for me...gnome-objc, ORBit 0.4...gnome-libs finally compiled with
version 1.0.3.

The problem is that my panel at the bottom of the screen is blank...
no icons, no gnome menu...nothing.  As well the apps that will run
have the icon on the left of the work on each menu item overlapping
the work (Help-> About... or example).  With the source install,
everything moved to /usr/local instead of /usr.

What sould I look for to correct this problem?

Darren King
BreakPoint Outdoors.