Clean install of RH5.2 and Gnome v1.0 doesn't work...

I've had the hardest time getting gnome to work on my system.  First, I
tried installing and then removing the Gnome 1.0 rpms a couple of
times... that didn't work.  I've even re-installed RedHat v5.2, all of
it's patches (errata) and then Gnome 1.0 according to the documentation
from the Gnome Website and I still can't get it to work.

Well, some of it works, but I can't see any applets in the panel after I
run them and I get the following error message whenever I try to run
gqview:

gqview:  error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libgdk_imlib.so.1:  undefined symbol:  __register_frame_info

It's the same error I've been getting since the very beginning.  What's
the deal?  Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  :-(    BTW, there
doesn't seem to be any other copies of this library on my system.  (I
noticed someone had that problem in another post.)  There are just a
couple of symlinks pointing to the library in the same /usr/lib
directory.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks,
robert